World Trauma Day was created in New Delhi, India, in 2011 in response to a large number of road traffic Accidents, Injuries and Fatalities — in an estimate, it has been found that over 400 people lost their lives each day due to Traffic and Road Injuries.
World Trauma Day is celebrated every year on October 17th. On this day, we recognize the importance of preventing accidents and injuries around the world that cause death and disability.
Approximately 300 million people are affected by trauma every year. Many organizations and individuals are working to help those affected by trauma. We should remember those who have been affected by trauma on World Trauma Day and pledge to do our part to help and heal the world.
World Trauma Day 2022 Theme
World Trauma Day is observed on October 17th in order to raise awareness about the global burden of trauma and honour those who have suffered from it. Over the past year, we have seen a significant increase in the number of people affected by trauma, whether from natural disasters or man-made disasters.
WORLD TRAUMA DAY DATES
- 2022 — October 17th — Monday
- 2023 — October 17th — Tuesday
- 2024 — October 17th — Thursday
- 2025 — October 17th — Friday
- 2026 — October 17th — Saturday
World Trauma Day History
World Trauma Day was established in 2011 in New Delhi, India. This is because the number of deaths due to traffic accidents in Korea is high, and According to an estimate, it has been seen that more than 400 people die every day. Therefore, this day was created to reduce the number of injuries and deaths, as well as the consequences of damage to the country and the world as a whole.
Road accidents account for one of the most common types of traumatic experiences in the world. In addition, experiences that stem from primary military operations, domestic abuse, and sexual assaults follow in the aftermath. Repeated or mishandled trauma can lead to Long-Term Stress Disorder (L.T.S.D.). Accounts dating back to the early 20th century describe an in-depth look at the disastrous effects that traumatic events can cause.
World War II inspired advancements to the way trauma is understood. Soldiers were later allowed to take a break from the conflict to get rid of their heads and return to the fight later on. In addition, trauma-related cognitive therapy began to flourish during the Vietnam War and Korean War.
ADVERTISEMENT CONTINUE READING BELOW
In 1969, the United States Department of Veterans Affairs founded the Organization for Survivors of Psychological Distress to allow veterans dealing with post-traumatic stress disorder (P.T.S.D.) to receive support. However, World Trauma Day serves to educate the general public on how to prevent trauma when it occurs.
Trauma is an extremely painful or distressing experience. It is an event or circumstance that involves intense psychological and physical stress. Trauma can be caused by natural disasters, man-made disasters, accidents, violence, war, or other events.
ADVERTISEMENT CONTINUE READING BELOW
World Trauma Day 2022 Statistics in India
Any physical injury caused by an event or activity is known as trauma. It may be induced due to automobile accidents, fires, burning, falls, acts of violence against vulnerable populations, including women and the elderly, and fights. Among the leading causes, Road Traffic Accident (R.T.A.) is the leading cause of injury across the globe. In addition, many injuries may result in temporary or permanent disability.
Every year, about 5 million people die as a result of injuries worldwide. In India alone, it is estimated one million people die, and 20 million are hospitalized annually due to injuries. Based on National Crime Records Bureau (N.C.R.B.), approximately 1.37 million people died in road accidents in India in 2013 (Report by World Trauma Day | National Health Portal Of India | nhp.gov.in). Moreover, the incidence of disease due to trauma is steadily increasing, which leads to higher mortality and morbidity rates and affects the national government’s productivity because the younger population is more involved in traffic accidents. Therefore, precautions to prevent any injuries must be taken for the safety of people.
World Trauma Day 2022 Significance
On World Trauma Day, people the world over come together to commemorate those that have died or become injured due to violence and trauma or accidents. Furthermore, the day emphasizes the importance of prevention and how everyone can contribute to making the world a safer place.
The day provides a platform for people to share their stories, learn from one another, and raise awareness of the problem of violence and trauma in their communities. Candlelight vigils, workshops, and educational programs are held throughout the world. Unfortunately, there are very few solutions to the problem of violence and trauma. Still, we can all help make a difference by coming together on World Trauma Day.
Points to remember:
- Follow the traffic safety rules carefully.
- Pay attention to warning signs and traffic lights while driving. Always wear a helmet when riding a
- Avoid distractions such as cell phones or loud music while driving.
- Take a short break when driving for a long time.
- Keep children away from electrical switches, wires, sharp objects and chemicals.
- Always keep a first aid kit at home and in your car.
- Ensure that stairs, windows, balconies and roofs are protected from falls.
- Learn basic life support skills and assist the wounded.
- Do not drive when tired, sleepy or intoxicated.
- Don’t do Rush Driving, Even if you are in a Hurry
- Do not operate hazardous machinery.
- In case of head or spine injury, do not move victim from site without professional assistance. Moving an injured person can cause serious injury to the back or neck.
- Don’t Drink and Drive.
Things to do in case of a Road Accident
- Stay calm: The first thing to do if you have been involved in an accident is to stay calm. If you panic, you may make things worse. Try not to move until emergency services arrive.
- Call 911/Emergency Helpline: Call 911/Emergency Helpline immediately after the accident.
- Check for injuries: Check yourself over for any injuries. Make sure to look at your head, neck, back, arms, legs, hands, feet, and face. Look for cuts, bruises, broken bones, and anything else that could be injured.
- Get medical attention: If you need medical treatment, call 9-1-1 and tell them what happened. You should also get checked out by a doctor.
- Take pictures: Take pictures of the scene of the accident. Keep these pictures handy in case they are needed later.
- Write down details: Write down everything that happens before, during, and after the accident. Include the time, date, location, weather conditions, and any witnesses.
- File a police report: File a police report about the accident. This helps protect you and others from being sued.
World Trauma Day 2022 Quotes, Wishes and Messages
- In honor of World Trauma Day! Wishing everyone a very happy World Trauma Day and making more and more people aware of the effects of trauma and ways to cope with it.
- Greetings on World Trauma Day, as spreading awareness about trauma and minimizing its effects are imperative for a better future for our world.
- Roads are one of the leading causes of traumatic accidents and injuries worldwide. Therefore, we must aim to have better road safety. Wishes on the occasion of World Trauma Day!
- People’s mental health and their health are affected by traumatic incidents, and neglecting them can have severe consequences for their health and well-being. Warm and Loveable Greetings on World Trauma Day to you!
- Happy World Trauma Day everyone! Every year, millions of people witness traumatic events that require special care and attention to escape. So let’s spread the message on this World Trauma Day!
- It’s essential to know the impact traumatic events have on individuals, their health and their psychological well-being, so by being a little more vigilant we can change many things in the world. Warm greetings on World Trauma Day!
- By handling trauma properly, we will not only save many lives, but will also provide emergency care in a better way. Therefore, realizing this is essential in real life. Happy World Trauma Day!
World Trauma Day 2022: Conclusion
Recalling that World Trauma Day falls on October 17th every year, let’s collectively remember those who have suffered from trauma, helping people and hopefully easing their healing process. Trauma is a genuine and severe problem that affects millions of people all over the world. By raising awareness and offering assistance, we can make a difference in the lives of those suffering from trauma.
ADVERTISEMENT CONTINUE READING BELOW